Wednesday 30 August 2017

It is surprising how one thing leads to another. After being at a Women’s Institute talk about the demolished New Hall in Pontefract. Not having known of this before, I did, what I always do, ‘googled it’. As a result, an ancient book, now digitised, came up. It was The History of Pontefract by George Fox. That gave me all the details of New Hall, plus a lot more exciting things I did not know about Pontefract, or Pomfret as it was once known.

There were some verses of poetry quoted, one of which I would like to share with you.

Pomfret,     by John Lund, 1726-1788.

If situation hath a power to please
If air salubrious can give ease,
If spacious streets and handsome houses join’d,
Can satisfaction raise within his mind, -
If noble ruins mouldering with rust,
Where ancient monarchs mingle with the dust.
If gardens all around can please the eyes,
Embellished o’re with Flora’s painted dyes, -
If peace and plenty, which doth here abide.
(laying all pique and prejudice aside,)
If charms are these worthy of my song,
Come here, ye grave, ye gay, ye old and young,
Come here and view the subject of my theme,
Confess that Pomfret’s worthy of my esteem.

He also wrote several other poems and some short plays, one of which was called ‘Ducks and Green Pease’, this was the name of the street in Pontefract where he lived. He worked as a Barber and Wig Maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment