Saturday 10 March 2018

If I could Paint Essences by Anne Stevenson. 10 of 12.

10 of 12."If I Could Paint Essences"           
(Hay on Wye)

Another day in March. Late
rawness raws and wetness. I hear my mind say
if only I could paint essences.

Such as the mudness of mud
on this rainsoaked dyke where coltsfoot
displays its yellow misleading daisy.

Such as the westness of west here
in England's last thatched, rivered
county. Red ploughland. Green pasture.

Black cattle. Quick water. Overpainted
by lightshafts from layered gold
and purple cumulus. A cloudness of clouds

which are not likie anything but clouds.

But just as I arrive at true sightness of seeing,
unexpectedly I want to play on those bell-toned
cellos of delicate not-quite-flowering larches

tht offer, on the opposite hill, their unfurled
amber instruments -- floating, insubstantial, a rising
horizon of music embodied in light.

And in such imagining I lose sight of sight.
Just as I'll lose the tune of what
hurls in my head, as I turn back, turn

home to you, conversation, the inescapable ache
of trying to catch, say, the catness of cat
as he crouches, stalking his shadow,

on the other side of the window.

-- Anne Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment