Tuesday 17 April 2018

17 of 30. 17th Century Poet - John Donne.


I must confess, today I have
no inspiration for a poem,
based on the number 17.
I offer you a 17th Century Poet.

Having looked on the internet,
I learned about John Donne.
He had an interesting life,
married and gave his wife
twelve children. He became:

A Member of Parliament,
he was ordained into the
Church. His writing was on
many themes, love, sex,
Religion and sometimes Death.

Here I offer you one of his
poems, words which are familiar.
Words that have echoed down
centuries but yet applies today.
--------------------------------------------------

John Donne's’ Poem.
No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know
for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment